We're officially open for submissions! Send your work for consideration for Issue #4 (Spring 2023).
(See Guidelines below.)
· You must be a teenager (age 13-19) at the time of your submission. In your email, indicate your age.
· Submissions must be in English, and we welcome translations.
· The submission must be previously unpublished: it can’t have appeared in another magazine, print or online, or on social media (blogs, etc.).
· No mixed submissions (don’t send poetry and short stories in the same email, for instance).
· One submission at a time: wait until you hear back from us before submitting more work.
· Simultaneous submissions (when you send the same work to several magazines) are okay by us. Notify us at this email ASAP if your work is accepted elsewhere. And congrats from us!
· Make sure that email correspondence from Under the Madness doesn't land in your email spam/junk folder.
· We read your work as a blind submission: this means that your name is removed from the submission before it is shown to the editor and section readers.
· We endeavor to respond in 3 months, likely sooner, during the school year.
WHAT WE’RE READING:
Poetry: Send 2-5 poems as a Word-friendly attachment or PDF. We are interested in all traditions of metered and free verse poetry.
Short Fiction: Send one short story or novel excerpt not to exceed 5,000 words or multiple short stories, the total submission not to exceed 5,000 words, as aWord-friendly attachment or PDF. We are interested in all styles of short fiction, including realistic, speculative, sci-fi, romance, fantasy,historical, flash and nano.
Creative Nonfiction: Send one piece of creative nonfiction or several shorter pieces,the total submission not to exceed 5,000 words, as a Word-friendly attach mentor PDF. We are interested in dynamic nonfiction, with emphasis on “creative”: personal essays, flash nonfiction, micro-nonfiction, interview, literary journalism, humor, lyrical and segmented essays, braided essays, mock genre, and memoir excerpts. We are not interested in school assignments and research papers unless they skyrocket in the creative department.
HOW TO SUBMIT WORK:
· Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
· In the Subject Line of the email, put your GENRE [Is it poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction?], followed by the first three words of the title, followed by your full name. Example: CREATIVE NONFICTION, “Year of magical thinking,” by Sara Perez.
· In the body of the email, provide a brief cover letter. Tell us about yourself. What's your age? What are your hobbies and interests? Where do you reside on planet Earth? If you’ve been previously published, feel free to let us know where and what.
"Under the Madness lies literature" - Unknown
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
UNDER THE MADNESS
A magazine for teen writers—by teen writers. Under the Madness brings together student editors from across New Hampshire under the mentorship of the state poet laureate to focus on the experiences of teens from around the world. Whether you live in Berlin, NH, or Berlin, Germany—whether you wake up every day in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, North or South America—we’re interested in reading you!